Cancer is one word no one ever wants to hear from their doctor, yet it is estimated that millions of people in the United States and across the world are diagnosed with cancer every year, and the numbers are only heading north. Fortunately, there are things you can do to avoid being another statistic. The following are 7 simple steps you can take to prevent, or at least reduce your chance of being hit by this virulent disease.
1. Keep a healthy diet. There are no certain foods that cause cancer or others that prevent it, but what is generally accepted is that a healthy diet is key to reduce your cancer risk. Make sure at least one third of your meals contain vegetables or fruits, avoid sugar-loaded desserts and drinks, and reduce your intake of processed meats. Load up on whole grains and unprocessed foods.
2. Watch your alcohol intake. While there are some health benefits of certain types of wine, the harms mostly outweigh the benefits, especially for those who cannot restrain their alcohol cravings. Several studies found a link between alcohol consumption and the development of different types of cancer.
3. Stop smoking. Tobacco use is one of the top causes of cancer all over the world, and that's just one of its horrible dangers. If this does not make you rethink that useless habit, I don't know what will!
4. Lose the fat pads. Obesity is believed to be the source of cancer for millions of men and women. Research suggests that excess abdominal fat can trigger different types of cancer.
5. Burn your risk. In an earlier article I talked about the many benefits of walking and physical activity. And, yes, regular exercise can significantly lower your chance of developing cancerous conditions.
6. Stay in the shadow. There are some benefits to exposing your body to direct sunlight, but too much sun can also lead to skin cancer. Avoid going out during midday and stay in shaded areas if you want to avoid sun-induced skin damage.
7. Stay hydrated. Water is probably the most underestimated nutrient. Drinking plenty of water is important for overall well-being and sound body functions. Dehydration has been associated with bladder and colon cancer, in addition to other harms to the body.
These are just some of the recommended measures that anyone can and should take as means of cancer prevention. And finally, it is important to pay attention to the warning signs your body gives you, particularly constant pain. A frequent checkup at your doctor's office is also one of the best ways of early detection and prevention.
They say that men do most of the hard work during sexual activity. Whether true or not, there is one part of the male body that has to keep it hard throughout the session. But when power is low in the downstairs department, the simplest function of manliness becomes a nightmarish impossibility. The condition is known as erectile dysfunction and it affects millions of men in the United States and elsewhere in the world.
Here are 10 facts you should know about erectile function and impotence in men:
- Achieving an erection is a ticklish process that requires different systems of your body to work in harmony. Any disease or disorder can easily lead to erectile dysfunction, especially conditions of the cardiovascular and nervous systems.
- The penis contains two spongy erectile chambers known as corpus cavernosum. During sexual arousal these two chambers get engorged with blood resulting in expansion of the penis in length and circumference. As long as there is sexual stimulation, the blood will stay trapped inside the shaft, but once stimulation is gone the blood will start draining out and the penis will return to its flaccid state.
- Heart disease is one of the leading causes of ED. Because heart problems lead to poor circulation, it can be difficult to get enough blood flow in the penis to have a strong erection.
- Erectile dysfunction drugs, like Viagra (sildenafil) and Cialis (tadalafil) work by inhibiting (blocking) an enzyme called PDE5, which results in expansion of blood vessels and increased blood flow in the penis. ED drugs works fast (usually within 30 to 60 minutes) and their effect is temporary. They are not a permanent cure for the condition.
- Although not approved by the FDA, there are many herbal remedies and supplements that can help in case of mild ED. Examples are: l-arginine, panax ginseng, horny goat weed, yohimbe, and others. However, they are significantly less effective than prescription drugs and may not work for everyone. There are tons of brands and formulas to choose from, but this one works well for men with low libido and performance issues.
- A penile implant (prosthesis) is a treatment option for patients with an advanced case. Inflatable penile implants are the preferred type since they feel more natural and allow the user to have an erection on demand.
- Vacuum erection devices offer an instant relief by forcing blood into the penis using vacuum force. There are different types of ED pumps on the market that are powered manually or electrically. They can be bought from drug stores without a prescription.
- Men with a small penis have used traction devices to increase erection size and strength. The benefits of this type of treatment are questionable but some devices have been clinically proven to increase size for some users.
- The best natural way to manage and prevent sexual dysfunction is by having a healthy diet and an active lifestyle. Maintaining good cardiovascular and mental well-being is crucial for a potent sexual function.
- The notion that ED affects old men is not true at all. There are many young men in their 20's and 30's who also suffer from this condition. Actually, recent studies showed that an increasing number of young men are having erection trouble.
Walking is one of the best and simplest physical activities to improve your overall well-being and support the health of your whole body and all its systems, in particular the cardiovascular system. Walking is a free exercise that can be performed by anyone, anywhere and anytime
Here are 10 amazing benefits you can gain from making walking a daily habit of yours:
1. Strengthens your heart. Many studies have shown that regular walking does significantly enhance the health and function of the heart, and reduce risk of developing heart disease. This is especially significant to older people who want to keep their heart muscle fit and strong.
2. Enhances brain health. Forget about pixie dust nootropic pills! Take a promenade on a regular basis to help your brain naturally heal itself. Exercise has been shown to improve brain health, and ease symptoms of depression and anxiety. It is also helpful in enhancing mental ability, mood and memory; and protecting against brain cell damage as you age.
3. Lowers blood pressure. Your arteries and blood vessels will relax and expand while you walk as your blood circulation increases. This helps lower blood pressure and can be very helpful for patients with hypertension.
4. Reduces bad cholesterol (LDL). Walking has also been shown to lower the levels of LDL in the body, while boosting the levels of HDL, or good cholesterol.
5. Increases Vitamin D. Most people walk outdoors and during daylight hours, which means their body will be exposed to an adequate amount of sunlight required to produce vitamin D; an essential vitamin for a healthy and well-functioning body.
6. Combats health problems. Walking can be one of the strongest tools in your fight against type 2 diabetes, arthritis, lower back pain, and colon cancer. For women, walking may help you avoid breast cancer. And for men, it can help prevent erectile dysfunction (ED) and prostate cancer.
7. Strengthens your bones. Your bones are designed to carry your weight and move it around, so the more you do that the stronger and denser your bones will be. Sitting on your bottom all day long is a sure way to weaken your bones and decrease their mass, which may put you at risk for osteoporosis.
8. Helps in weight management. Daily physical activity is a must for anyone trying lose weight -- and guess which activity is the most enjoyable, safest and proven to have positive results? That's right, a daily stroll can significantly enhance your efforts to lose weight and burn fat. Step it up to some jogging, and watch the calories burn away. In addition to that, you will be enhancing your muscle mass and tone.
9. Increases testosterone levels. Whether you are an old or a young man, exercise is a proven method to hike up your T levels. Stop popping pills and go out for a hike more often to keep your testosterone levels at their best.
10. Extends your life. Research suggests that people who walk and exercise regularly are more likely to live longer than those who don't. This isn't surprising after knowing the many health benefits of this basic physical activity.
So, what are you still waiting for?! Turn off your PC, get off your lazy butt, and go wander the world around you!
Follow articles RSS
Follow comments' RSS flux